Monday 17 February 2014

Zip and finishing touches

1. Now to insert the invisible zipper. First I like to press the zipper teeth flat as this makes it easier to stitch nice and snugly next to the teeth. I also overlocked the raw edges of the skirt before placing the zip with the coils along the seam line. Then I stitched one side of the zip going slowly to avoid puckering ( normally I am a bit of a speed merchant on the machine!) Once that side was done I did the other side, remembering to keep the zip face down and to work on the right side of my fabric. I then stitched the rest of the seam from the hem up and overlapped where the zip stitching ended. A final press and voilĂ . There are much better instructions than mine for inserting an invisible zipper - I like Sew Serendity's at blogspot - really clear instructions and photographs.
2. Next step is the lining. I attached this to the waist edge, so no need for any waistband or facings.
The final dilemma - to add a decorative trim or not? I am addicted to trims but am reliably informed that less is more. Mmmm? 
3. The finished article - as you can see I succumbed and added a hemline trim.








1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I love the many photos you put up, they are so very helpful. I never thought to press the zip before even though I struggled with some that went a bit out of shape from getting stored for too long. Great tip, I'll do that from now on!
    I also love the trim you put onto the hem. This is very beautiful! I am hoping to admire it in real life at some point.
    I would love to know how you attach trims. Do you machine stitch them on, or hand stitch? Glue them on? I haven't tried trims yet because I am a bit intimidated by not knowing a good method. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete